Thursday, February 12, 2009

Broth is Beautiful and Healthy

A Guest Post from : My Mom!
I like to make homemade soups. All kinds of soup. I usually take the bones from a baked turkey and throw them in a pot with lots of water, cook it for a long time and then use the meat and broth for soup. I had no idea how good and healthy that really is.

I found the link to this article, Broth is Beautiful by Sally Fallon on my friend's blog, She Looketh Well. The article explains some of the awesome nutrients in broth made from bones and meat. And I quote, "Stock contains minerals in a form the body can absorb easily—not just calcium but also magnesium, phosphorus, silicon, sulphur and trace minerals. It contains the broken down material from cartilage and tendons--stuff like chondroitin sulphates and glucosamine, now sold as expensive supplements for arthritis and joint pain. " That makes me want to eat some soup almost every day! The article goes on the explain other good factors about broth.

So now I know that it is truly worth the extra effort it takes to make soup from scratch. Which reminds me, I think my broth is done so I'd better go tend to it!

Happy Eating,
Gloria


A Big Thank You to Mama for sharing this wisdom with us! :D Be sure to check out her blog, Gloria In Excelsis Deo, for more good stuff! :)


5 comments:

Jacque Dixon said...

That was a wonderful article you linked to, Gloria! Many thanks! This is very important and answered a lot of questions I have wondered about gel/gelatin.

Thanks Julia!

Anonymous said...

my mom boils bones to get more meat!

Stacy McDonald said...

Hi Julia,

The answer to your request on my blog is yes. :-)

StarGazer said...

Hey Julia,

My Mom's birthday is next week and I was wondering if you have any really totally completely awesome Vanilla cake recipes. And Maybe a list of what I'll need to get (Cake pan wise)to make a great cake. You can leave a comment on my blog if you have anything. Thanks!

Zoe
http://horses-r-my-life.blogspot.com/

Miss Rachel said...

Hey there Julia -
Just wanted to let you know that I tried that Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe that you posted not too long ago, and they turned out beautifully.

That is the best recipe I have tried! Thanks for sharing it. :) I will have to post about it on my blog, when I make them next.

Keep up the great work here. I love recipe blogs!

Love,
Rachel
http://dixonhomestead.com/rachel